[wdmmg-discuss] budgetizer.html, deficit-and-debt.html

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Jul 27 08:15:24 UTC 2010

Just to start out can I say: this is absolutely brilliant! That top
graph is just amazing in showing how rapidly estimates changed from
2008 until now ...

cc'ing discuss -- think you forgot to late at night ;)

On 26 July 2010 23:47, Tim Hubbard <timjph at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Rufus,
>
> Just pushed again for budgetizer.html
>
> This time I've also updated
>
> http://www.wheredoesmymoneygo.org/wdmmg-js/src/budgetizer.html

What I should now do is iframe this into a proper page on the site ...
And I've now done it:

<http://www.wheredoesmymoneygo.org/budget/budgetizer/>

This will be our offical link from now on!

> I've now fixed all of what I think were the immediate critical issues - top
> graph now shows single property compared over different senarios, with
> consistent order and colouring.  Haven't got dashed behaviour in - that
> seems a lot more difficult.  Almost a different plotting program perhaps.

Yes, dashed does not seem possible in flot.

> (I had to somewhat horribly extend setupFlot and doFlotPlot to get this
> 'group' behaviour.  Might be better to separate out)

I can take a look at this when I have a moment.

> What do you think?

I think it is brilliant. We should probably have a bit of text at the
bottom explaining what has gone on -- or saying this is in the
spreadsheet sources (this could reuse blog post material ...)

> Kathryn asked about blogging this - might now be a good enough alpha to do
> this.

Yes definitely. It would be useful to have a brief background on the
data (and how hard it was to get together). Would you be willing/able
to put a paragraph or 3 together? (You could probably reuse at scifoo
...)

> When graphs show 2005-2015, things are not so bad, however it becomes clear
> that start to need things like %GDP or other normalized things.

Indeed, i found plain levels graphs very hard to interpret since you
needed to normalize against GDP.

> deficit-and-debt.html is nice - I'd be interested in what Japan looks like
> under it (I did briefly look, but not so easy to find).

Yes, data, data, data ...

Rufus