[wdmmg-discuss] OLAP analysis

Francis Irving francis at flourish.org
Mon Jun 7 09:28:54 UTC 2010

Lovely!

Saw it briefly last night under OSX before I went to bed, but
am on Linux now. Can you easily shove that Javascript xmla4js (or
similar) in front of your OLAP server, so everyone can see something?

Will get you to show me the user interface later on too - looks like
it did enough to do all grouping totals, and presumably graphs as
well, that you might want easily. I couldn't work it out quickly, but
I'm not used to Desktop type interfaces these days.

Two things about the underlying model:

1. In one report it had the programme object code, without
description. Can you somehow merge together fields from the CSV with
their relevant _description field?

Nearly always you need to see both to make sense of them - in most
cases even just string cocatenating them (with a space) is better than
them being separated off. But even better is if OLAP lets you mark
them as descriptions explicitly, and the user interface uses them well.

2. For 2008/09, I agree that "Outturn" is probably the most
straightforward interesting one to use. However, for 2009/10,
"Outturn" is only up to date to February (apparently, I haven't
checked in the actual data) and won't be ready until probably
September - instead use the latest forecast which is "Forecast
Outturn March". (Although that is split by month making comparing more
complicated... And no doubt has other accounting differences)

Francis