[wdmmg-discuss] UK tax and cuts

Alistair Turnbull apt1002 at goose.minworks.co.uk
Fri Jun 11 18:49:39 UTC 2010

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010, Tim Hubbard wrote:

> At 16:25 +0100 11/6/10, Lisa Evans wrote:
>
>> We need:

>> - suggestions for a name for the project

> www.howwouldicutthedeficit.org (hwictd)

> www.selfgov.org (domain is taken though)
>
> ideas?

How about "www.economystupid.org"? But somebody else has had the same
idea:

 	http://www.theeconomystupid.eu/introduction.html

By the way, at the risk of getting into difficult macroeconomics, *how
much* should we cut the deficit? I feel this is a question that is more
comprehensible than the ones we've been asking so far, and no less
important.

It's a difficult one to answer. Have a look at the debate raging in
Greece, for example. I remember Rufus explaining to me that something like
7% of GDP is an "acceptable" deficit (and about half the current UK
deficit), but I can't remember the reasoning.

In terms of the proposed game, I think this probably means I want a
control that lets me pay off the deficit by printing money, and allowing
inflation to rise, or something similar. Is that right, Rufus?

 	Alistair