[wdmmg-discuss] Does anyone have any thoughts for this post on open data?

K Corrick kathryn.corrick at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 21 09:56:54 UTC 2010

Hello,
This article by Dan McQuillan:
Open data doesn't empower communities
http://www.internetartizans.co.uk/open_data_does_not_empower
"Open data doesn't empower communities. I'm not saying open data is a bad
thing, but we need to highlight the gap between the semantic web and social
impact. Otherwise we'll continue to get swept along on a tide of
technocratic enthusiasm where hope lies in 'a flood of data to create a
data-literate citizenry'<http://www.rfahey.org/2010/06/13/a-flood-of-data-to-create-a-data-literate-citizenry/>
...."

Its currently getting a lot of attention on Twitter and some interesting
feeback. I was just wondering if anyone from the WDMMG team like to post a
comment to give our take on what he's saying?

Best wishes,
Kathryn

PS. For those who don't me I'll send an intro email in a moment.

Kathryn Corrick - Digital Media Consultant

Mobile: 07901 914190
Skype: kathryncorrick
Web/blog: www.kathryncorrick.co.uk
Email: kathryn.corrick at gmail.com