[wdmmg-discuss] Does anyone have any thoughts for this post on open data?

Francis Irving francis at flourish.org
Mon Jun 21 11:33:03 UTC 2010

Excellent reply, Rufus.

And to add something public finance specific under Rufus's 4 for
Katherine...

According to Des McConaghy, a key missing Governance structure in the
UK is democratic scrutiny of public spending. In other countries,
Parliaments have much more control over that than in ours.
Subcomittees debate the budget for months - we have a few days on the
Finance Bill.

(This is new stuff to me, so if anyone has got evidence, references
for this please post them)

So yes, there is a specific democratic gap in terms of control of
public spending. We leave it to our representatives, who in turn leave
it to ministers and civil servants.

Francis