[wdmmg-discuss] Tax Tree and 4iP

Peter Tattersall pete.tattersall at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 12:33:10 UTC 2010

Hello,

I was asked to introduce my "Tax Tree" project to the wddmg-discussion list.

The Tax Tree was the winning entry of the idea category of last autumns'
Apps for Democracy Finland competition. The basic idea of the Tax Tree is to
display the revenue and expenditure of public sector organisations in the
form of a tree-like diagram, in which the thickness of each branch indicates
the amount of money being allocated to the "branch" in question (i.e.
department or sub-department).

Images of the idea can be viewed here:
http://www.slideshare.net/ptatters/tax-tree

I am currently negotiating with a publicly funded media organisation and a
government agency here in Finland regarding the programming of a piece of
software that would generate tree diagrams from raw data files. The
intention is to make an open-source, free software that could be adapted to
the needs of many types of organisation. It is presently too early to say
when such a piece of software will be available.

As well as displaying flows of money in the public sector, the Tax Tree
could be used to display the organisational structure of public bodies,
information on public services (the "fruit"), news articles relevant to each
branch, and public discussion on the allocation of funds. Future areas of
development include consideration of how the Tax Tree could be used as a
platform for participatory budgeting and how calculations of Social Return
on Investment could be integrated into the tree.

I'll send another message to this list when I have concrete details of the
programming of the Tax Tree software. I will be very grateful for feedback
and advice of any kind regarding the Tax Tree, and I wish you every success
with the inspirational wddmg project.

Best,
Peter Tattersall