[wdmmg-discuss] Annotating data

Dave Boyce dave at iconomical.com
Thu Mar 11 15:51:18 UTC 2010

On 9 Mar 2010, at 20:03, Alistair Turnbull wrote:

> Lisa raised a good question earlier on the phone, which deserves a wider audience.
>
> The CRA includes money given to the BBC by central government. She thinks (and hopes to confirm) this is additional to the BBC's licence fee revenue (which is not included in the CRA),

Yes it is - P36 S180300 - and it looks comparable to media reports of the BBC's license fee revenue. It's non-identifiable (ie, UK-wide) spending, so we're not going to get any regional classification.

> and that it is intended to cover the BBC World Service only. As a result, there is no regionally classified spending, and the total spending is far smaller than the figures in the BBC's own reports of its revenue. These facts are quite surprising at first, and really ought to be recorded in a structured way alongside the data itself.

As far as the world service spend goes, the BBC link has two years of data: one agrees 100% with the CRA, and there could well be a simple typo for the other one. There's a discrepancy, but it's probably not significant or systemic enough to justify us doing additional work for.

	- Dave