[wdmmg-discuss] Request for scraping and keeping in closer contact

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu May 27 19:23:19 UTC 2010

On 27 May 2010 17:40, Donovan Hide <donovanhide at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Rufus,
>
> this scraper has united the income tax rates from these two spreadsheets:
>
> http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/stats/tax_structure/incometaxrates_1974to1990.xls
>
> http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/stats/tax_structure/table-a2a.xls

Great work. For others (just cc'd this to wdmmg-discuss), scraped data is here:

<http://scraperwiki.com/scrapers/show/income-tax-rates/>

> and should be useful for visualisations. Have also done some analysis
> of the income tax personal and married allowances and come to the
> conclusion that the data is almost useless without all the explanatory
> notes. It seems that no useful function would be served by flattening
> the data into a key value store, although I could be wrong, if you had
> a particular plan for that time series.

That sounds probable. My guess is also that taking those allowances is
very second-order ....

> Perhaps just scraping the personal allowance and ignoring the married
> couple's allowance would be useful? They are two different things
> completely, but both depend on the same age criteria.

I think think we can hold off on this just for the moment -- there may
be more important things from a tax calculator perspective to work
out. BTW current code is here:

<http://knowledgeforge.net/okfn/wdmmg/file/50b937c079cc/wdmmg/wdmmg/lib/calculator.py>

@Alistair: do you have any view on this?

Rufus