[wdmmg-discuss] Where does the spanish money go

David Cabo david.cabo at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 01:13:21 UTC 2010

 Rufus, Anna,

 As a quick proof of concept, I've extracted a subset of the 2010
Spanish budget (1200 rows, top level expense headings) from our full
spreadsheet [1] into a Google Docs one [2], and massaged the data a
bit to match the format of the Israeli sample that was used back in
July [3]. That way, I didn't have to change much from the Israeli
script, just variable names, slice name and translation parameters.
The result is attached, but also available at [4]. (The CKAN package
is missing though, so the load() function won't work.)

 Although I took a look at the wiki [5], I still need to understand a
bit better the structure of the data store (the keys, the
classificationItems...) and how the spanish data fits into it, but
that's possibly best done at the camp with pen and paper. As a quick
summary, just so you understand what's on the spreadsheet:

 - level 1: the budget is split into sections (mostly ministries, but
also things like parliament, supreme court...)
 - level 2: each section is divided into
entities/departments/independent bodies.
 - level 3: each entity gets assigned a number of 'expense programmes'
or goals, like 'primary education' or 'unemployment benefits'. A
programme can be split across multiple entities.
 - level 4: the expenses in a programme are categorised by type:
salaries, investment, utilities... In the spreadsheet I left only the
major headings, which should be enough for now, but in the budget
itself there are 2-3 additional levels of detail.

 So, shall we try to import this into a test slice?

/david

[1]: https://github.com/downloads/dcabo/pge/expenses.xlsx
[2]: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AowzHU9kHzeudFpFNDJzSi1yR210TTR6dm51dlpZZ0E&hl=en
[3]: http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/wdmmg-discuss/2010-July/000450.html