[wdmmg-discuss] Datastore URL changes - any views?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Oct 1 12:35:37 UTC 2010

Sorry for delayed response. Believe this relates to ticket:

<http://knowledgeforge.net/okfn/tasks/ticket/463>

Comments inline below.

On 24 September 2010 15:03, Anna Powell-Smith
<annapowellsmith at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm thinking of making some minor changes to the WDMMG datastore model and
> URLs.
> Just wanted to run these past the list first in case anyone can see any
> problems:
>
> Rename 'transaction' to 'entry', and 'slice' to 'dataset' - less jargony
> names.

Definitely. What about 'amount' to 'measure'. Not sure whether this is useful ..

> Replace UUIDs with ordinary autoincrement IDs - I think the URLs are
> unwieldy at the moment.

I agree but I think there may be other ways to deal with this (e.g.
truncate to the first 10 characters ..). do you have any estimate for
how much work it is to switch to auto-increment (I guess fairly
minimal). Also does autoincrement work with sqlite (which is what we
often test with)?

> Include dataset names in transaction URLs, so they are more descriptive.

Good idea.

> So instead of having a URL like
> /transaction/8457f249-78da-4e7c-8956-b1325f755250 for a transaction, we'd
> have something like /entry/cra/2912.
> I could put redirects in place from the existing URLs, if the datastore has
> enough traffic for it to be worthwhile.

I don't believe this is necessary given current state (though from
this point on we will preserve urls). What we could do is redirect to
search page for 404s?

Rufus

> Any views?
> best wishes