[wdmmg-discuss] Tax and Spend, BBC 2

Imran Jina Imran.Jina at bbc.co.uk
Mon Apr 18 14:36:36 UTC 2011

Hello

I am journalist working on a BBC 2 programme called Tax and Spend which
will basically look at how much we pay and what we get back in
cash/in-kind benefits and services.

I was wondering if anyone may be able to help me.

1) I am really interested in how the tax paid by an individual is
calculated. Is there some sort of formula to assign indirect taxes etc?
Is there some sort of "Tax calculator"?

2) On the Daily Bread spending, the site mentions using "linear
interpolation" to assign benefits in kind to individuals. Again here is
there some sort of formula for how the value of particular services is
assigned to individuals according to their their income?

I would be very grateful for any help/guidance on either of these
points.

My email address is: imran.jina at bbc.co.uk

Many thanks

Imran