[wdmmg-discuss] Open Misinformation and the Illusion of Transparency

William Waites ww at styx.org
Thu Jul 21 14:57:58 UTC 2011

* [2011-07-21 15:36:30 +0100] Mark MacGillivray <mark at odaesa.com> écrit:

> I agree, but note - we would not know there were errors if we could
> not see it. The advantage of open data is that many eyes will make
> errors easier to find. But you have to accept that we will start with
> lots of errors!

The data is in general not inspectable since you need the accounts
on the other side of the transactions.

In this special case where we have that, because OKF is a government
contractor, the data does not have "lots of errors", the data consists
*entirely* of errors.

> You also have to accept that the people sharing this data are scared -
> if they are seen to be "doing it wrong" they will feel inadequate and
> fear for their livelihoods. We must be clear that we are offering help
> to make things better, rather than looking to point out failings -
> most people lack confidence (which is also why most people will not
> admit they lack confidence).

So we're kind of back to square one, asking the government to please
publish real data. If it is made up data as appears to be the case
here, we can tell. If there is another explanation I would love to
hear it.

Of course we are willing to help, but at this point without am official
mandate and a very high level of access all we can do is give general
advice like, "please publish real data" or "perhaps ask your bank for
some statements that you can redact appropriately and publish".

> Whereas "they" may not do it right, and "we" can't do it right without
> access, perhaps we - us and them - will find a way to do it right
> together.

I would love for this to happen.

-w
--