[wdmmg-discuss] Greetings data gurus

Tim McNaught timmcnaught at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 09:29:13 UTC 2011

I have just joined the mailing list after meeting Jonathan and Friedrich at
a training in Budapest last week.  My name is Tim McNaught and I am an
American working with the Center for Economic and Social Development in
Baku, Azerbaijan.

I have not worked a lot with data, but I am very interested in getting lost
and found again in the field of data visualization. I'm also interested in
using multimedia software to help tell stories with data.  I recently
created a podcast called AzerEconomics (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUmHXnhp9oY) which is currently only audio,
but I'd like to use data visualization to liven things up.

I'd also be intrigued with working with you all to help create new videos.
So if you have any new story ideas please let me know!

As far as spending data in Azerbaijan, this is the government data that I've
found for state budget revenues and expenditures (2005-2010):
http://www.azstat.org/statinfo/finance/en/002.shtml

I'd love to make some cool visualizations with this data so let me know when
the openspending.org upload feature is fully up and operational.

It was great to meet Jonathan and Friedrich and I just want to say how
impressed and inspired I am by all of your work.  Great stuff!

All the best,

Tim McNaught