[OpenSpending] Spending story: US city bankruptcies

Jesús García jesgar at damanegra.com
Mon Aug 13 15:35:04 UTC 2012

Hi,
It would be a similar case to Spanish municipalities bailed out by national government (in Spain, municipalities are not allowed to fill bankruptcy, so nation gov is paying their due& unpaid invoices).

But ...
- There's not a whole source of operations data for local governments
- There's a source of financial and budgetary data (www.rendiciondecuentas.es) but it's not open data. It's only viewable through web browser and it's not downloadable in any format (yes, it should be scrapped, maybe I could try to do it in next weeks but I have no confidence!).
- National government has not disclosed any information about the local bail-out (municipalities & invoices). Transparency laws have not been not enough developed ...
Surely, determinants of financial distress (bankruptcy or bail out) would not be the same in California and Spain but I'm sure consequences would be!

It's only food for thought ...

Regards,
Jesús