[OpenSpending] Methods for publishing/visualizing expense data?

Peter Krantz peter at peterkrantz.se
Wed Aug 15 08:51:23 UTC 2012

Hi all!

In the past couple of weeks we have had several interesting newspaper articles in Sweden regarding government agency spending on representation/dinners/seminars [1]. In short there are indications that government agencies have tried to book representation expenses on accounts for seminars and one head of an agency already had to quit (it is likely there will be more).

I am interested in finding more information on government expense publishing in the following areas:

1. Examples from other countries and research articles ion the effects of expense publishing.
2. Time frames (yearly data dumps or "real time" from finance application)
3. Visualizations of expense data.

Any links or pointers would be greatly appreciated

[1]: (in swedish - use google translate) http://www.dn.se/Stories/stories-nyheter/stories-sverige/dn-granskar-sloseriet-med-skattepengar

Regards,

Peter Krantz
http://www.opengov.se