[OpenSpending] Spending forecasts vs. spending realities

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Wed Feb 15 07:18:32 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 12:12 AM, Fabrizio Scrollini
<fabrizio.scrollini at gmail.com> wrote:
> In terms of throwing some ideas, for budgets a common miss match useful to
> spot is the appropriated budget (a.k.a. what Parliament voted to spend) and
> real (actual)  expenditure.This is in the cases I know data hard to get, but
> still it would be something to think about.

I have this data for Germany and have wanted to work with it in some
way for a while now (it would make a fantastic comparison)! For how to
do it visually, check out this very recent visualization of the US
budget in the NY Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/02/13/us/politics/2013-budget-proposal-graphic.html
(Tab 3: "Changes"). I think this makes a couple of really strong
points about priorization, would love to do this for OS.

- Friedrich