[OpenSpending] Interesting budget visualisations from around the globe

Lisa Evans lisa.evans at okfn.org
Thu Jun 7 10:33:13 UTC 2012

Hi Lucy, I see Simon and John have added the Australian budget to the show
and tell here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/interactive/2012/jun/06/australia-budget-spending-interactive

Sadly the comments on twitter and on the post itself don't really give an
insight into how people understand it.

My first thought is that the figure for the actual spending in the right
hand side pannel needs to be bold when the '11-12 Actual' button is
selected. Similarly the budget figure needs to be bold when the '12-13
Budget' is selected.

Then I'm not convinced this diagram is suitable for hierarchical data.
The inner layer shows the top categories of spending or budgets as
essentially a pie chart. The outer layers add a more detailed breakdown of
these top categories, but the collective size of this detail is greater
than the area represented in the inner layer. Personally I find that a bit
confusing. What do you think?

Lisa