[OpenSpending] Follow-up to transaction standard call

Alistair Turnbull apt1002 at goose.minworks.co.uk
Sat Oct 20 15:05:52 UTC 2012

I know I am joining the discussion late after not following it closely,
but this reminds me of some questions we struggled with a couple of years
ago when we first got our hands on COINS.

I remember that a big obstacle to getting things from the data was that
various government organisations paid each other to do things, so that the
same money showed up multiple times. This was particularly true within the
NHS. It makes it very difficult to get accurate totals. To avoid this
problem, I think we would need:

  - Transaction-level data.

  - Useful data about the recipients of payments, by which I mean that it
should be possible to see if the recipient is another government
organisation, and if so which one.

I worry that contract-level data would miss a lot of interesting
information. Payroll, for example. Also cost overruns, non-performance,
disputes, and mismanagement would show up in transaction-level data but
not in contract-level data. Many procurement decisions look sensible on
paper...

I can see that contract-level data would also add lots of new useful
information about the purpose of the transactions. I don't think either of
transaction-level data and contract-level data really replaces the other.

Bulk of data is not in itself an insurmountable problem. We have computers
and dedicated people. Given ledger-level transaction data the task of
reducing it is manageable, provided the books balance. However, if you get
a dumbed-down version of the data that has been processed and reduced and
summarised so that it no longer balances, then you don't really have
anything at all.

Sorry if I have missed the point.

 	Alistair