[OpenSpending] Follow-up to transaction standard call

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich at pudo.org
Tue Oct 23 08:10:09 UTC 2012

Hey all,

I don't think there is any disagreement that both contractual and
transaction-level information are valuable and need to be published.

It's important to see that this dicusssion about a transactional
spending standard does not stand isolated, but it needs to connect to
the debate about standards for the release of contractual data (see
http://www.open-contracting.org/). The question of what has priority -
transactions or contracts - can probably only be answered in
connection with another question: What for? We all have different
goals in using this data, often based on the differences between the
countries in which we operate.

The best thing we can accomplish is to generate a language that finds
a fair compromise between reflecting the eccentricities of many
governments, while not getting lost in the details of each. If what we
design ends up being the perfect sum of all ways in which people
record transactional data it will be completely worthless, because it
will be unusable. So we need to break it down and simplify in a few
places.

That said, I'm very keen to see more samples of the data that
governments are releasing. We can use this to have further evidence of
what they can (and need to) publish.

In the end, I hope that what we come up with will be something useful.
Useful for government so they have concrete guidance on how to publish
data. Useful for techies like me, who can build tooling. Useful for
analysts who want to reconstruct flows of funds within government.
(Still, we should not mix up the analysis with the standard, it
enables analysis but should not require it.)

Cheers,

 - Friedrich