[OpenSpending] Spending story: US city bankruptcies

Julian Todd julian at goatchurch.org.uk
Mon Sep 3 09:26:22 UTC 2012

You need to review the journalism on some of these stories.  The real
reason behind the financial problems are well hidden (behind
disinformation blaming it on teacher's salaries), and usually to do
with something similar to PFI -- vastly inflated payments and debts on
city assets.

Sometimes it's so well hidden that it takes an auditor put in charge
of the city six months to work it out.
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2012/08/31/160379247/inside-americas-most-indebted-city#more

One purpose of the open spending movement should be to establish
financial control systems where the flow and leaking of money can be
observed in realtime.  So it should be worth carefully reviewing and
discussing these cases from a technical standpoint to understand if
transparency could have revealed these problems at source or not.

Julian.