[OpenSpending] How to read oil contracts book

Anders Pedersen anders.pedersen at okfn.org
Tue Apr 9 14:26:38 UTC 2013

Chris,

Thanks for linking to this. It's indeed an excellent resource.

On access to contracts in sectors outside oil (such as infrastructure
and services):
I'd find it really useful to see similar documentation. Journalists
often have (limited) rights to access to contracts, where jargon and
terms of service often appear difficult to assess. It could include:
* How to assess terms if parties wish to cancel the contract
* How to assess reasonable conditions in terms of fee structures
* How to fine/assess delays and other questionable actions by contractors

I therefore wonder general "jargon buster" for contracts would be helpful?
If so, we should possibly attempt to draft this in collaboration with
FOIA advocates (who know the rights to access) and journalists (who
know the needs).

Anders