[OpenSpending] How much is it really?

Tryggvi Björgvinsson tryggvi.bjorgvinsson at okfn.org
Mon Aug 19 19:20:03 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I wanted to tell you all about a project we're working on in
collaboration with J++ (Journalism++): http://jplusplus.org/

The project is all about making sense of spending by allowing users to
submit an amount and the site will show users how much that really is
compared to other newsworthy "stories"/amounts.

So the scenario we work with is that you might be reading a news article
stating some amount, let's say 20 million GBP but you don't really know
how much that is in the grand scheme of things. So you could go to this
app and type in your number and it would return a few spending amounts
to help you understand, something like that 20 million pound sterling is
the cost of Kate and William's wedding.

We're very close to releasing our first prototype but I'm just so
excited about the work J++ has done that I wanted to give you all a
sneak-peak. Don't expect anything to work (but it just might), so be
gentle ;-)

I'd love your feedback though so if you'd take a look at this very very
early preview, armed with the general idea, I'd be really happy and
grateful to hear what you would expect out of this, what you think about
what we have so far, would you use this, and just about anything that
comes to your mind. I think you're the right people to show this to in
order to see if we're on the right track.

Here's the url to our "almost ready prototype":
http://okf-spendingstories-staging.herokuapp.com

I hope I'm not confusing anyone by telling you about software that's not
even at the working prototype stage but I'm just so excited. Thanks a bunch!

--

Tryggvi Björgvinsson

Technical Lead, OpenSpending

The Open Knowledge Foundation <http://okfn.org>