[OpenSpending] Sunlight Foundation`s new international program

Budgit Nigeria budgitng at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 19:13:58 UTC 2013

*Júlia Keserű, *
*
*Congrats on joining Sunlight. I say that's a smart move. I lead an
organisation named BudgIT <http://yourbudgit.com/>, a Nigerian startup
using creative technologies to interprete Nigerian budgets to the citizens.
Recently, institutional reform has been repeated in our discussions, mostly
especially how we direct civic engagement on the budget to institutional
process improvement *
*
*
*Nigeria does not have a structured 'Congessional Budget Office' so the
contribution to budgetary matters at the legislative arm has been
dissapointing over the years. The new National Assembly Budget & Research
Office <http://nabro.org.ng/> (NABRO) meant to fulfil this function still
lacks statutory authority due to absence of an enabling law. While we await
the legislation to be sorted out soonesty, we are currently supporting
improving legislative budget organ capacity by reforming the NABRO data
management, archiving, technology appreciation & capacity building. We are
building an alternate secure website and we also provided a demo
<http://yourbudgit.com/nabro/>of a budget tracking tool for the MPs and
general public. This budget tracking tool still needs strong institutional
buy-in as this open platform pushes transparency. **We earnestly hope this
solves the fundamental problem in Nigerian budget process which is mainly
lack of transparency & accountability in terms of budget performance and
procurement process. *
*
*
*We will be welcome to any area Sunlight Foundation is willing to help most
especially in organisational & capacity support. *
*
*
*Thanks. *
*