[OpenSpending] Formats for government budget data?

José Félix Ontañon fontanon at emergya.com
Thu Jan 24 11:24:16 UTC 2013

2013/1/24 Peter Krantz <peter at peterkrantz.se>

> Hi!
>
> For the first time the swedish government published the data for the
> budget in excel for 2012 [1]. As you can see the format makes it a bit
> cumbersome to use in e.g. a tree map (I had to tweak it a lot to make
> [2]).
>
> Is there any work going on to harmonize budget data publication in a
> machine readable format?
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter
>
> [1]: http://www.regeringen.se/sb/d/2548/a/199285
> [2]: http://peterkrantz.com/v11n/statsbudget-2013/

Hi Peter,

Some entities in the spanish Public Administration[1] has been publishing
financial data using the XBRL standard.

>From Wikipedia's XBRL page[2]:
XBRL (eXtensible Business Reporting Language) is a freely available and
global standard for exchanging business information based on XML. XBRL
allows the expression of semantic meaning commonly required in business
reporting ... Early users of XBRL included regulators such as the U.S.
Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation and the Committee of European Banking
Supervisors (CEBS) ...

Nevertheless, I haven't found any country reporting public income/spendig
budget using XBRL.
Regards!

[1] http://www.xbrl.es/casos/casos.html (spanish)
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBRL