[OpenSpending] budgetary data disclosure and OGD principles - an assessment proposal

Gisele S. Craveiro gisele.craveiro at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 12:23:22 UTC 2013

Dear all,

I am sending attached to this msg a paper that will be presented next month
in
ICDS Conf.
We hope we have brought some contributions to this discussion and
suggestions and
comments to improve our future work are very welcome.

Gisele

Abstract:

Budget transparency is an instrumental factor for better understanding the
concept of budget within a democratic context.
 International codes for best governance practices in public management
have appointed the internet as a communication
media with the potential to provide this information in a timely and
transparent manner to the several players in the society,
 and open government data has added important elements to this scenario.
Currently, there is no structured framework to
evaluate the quality of the budgetary information disclosed on the web.
This paper takes this into consideration when
proposing an assessment framework and analyzing data collected from two
samples: one composed by 54 budgetary
websites from different Brazilian executive power levels (national, state
and municipal), complemented with another sample
of 34 Brazilian audit court websites.