[OpenSpending] Exploring Senegal Public Procurements : how we turned PDF files into browsable data ?

Marc Joffe marc at publicsectorcredit.org
Fri Jul 5 16:07:47 UTC 2013

Pierre

I just wanted to add my thanks as well.  My project with California city fiscal data also entails struggles with PDFs.  While we address this with a combination of brute force and commercial tools like Abbyy FineReader and Able2Extract, it is great to see that you have been successful with open source alternatives.  I was not aware of OpenRefine until seeing your post and am glad that you introduced me to it; in certain circumstances, it appears to offer substantial advantages over spreadsheets for data cleansing.

Thanks again for contributing such an informative blog post.

Cheers,

Marc Joffe

Public Sector Credit Solutions

http://www.publicsectorcredit.org/ca