[OpenSpending] Daily Bread BiH

Lisa Evans lisa.evans at okfn.org
Mon Jun 3 15:05:30 UTC 2013

Hi,

We've decided to make daily bread for Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) with
Damir Mehmedbasic and team at the Public Interest Advocacy Center (
http://cpibih.appspot.com/en/ ).

Here's Daily Bread for the UK for folks who haven't heard of it or want a
reminder: http://wheredoesmymoneygo.org/dailybread.html

Here's a description of how we are approaching the calculations for daily
bread BiH.
Thanks to the work of Damir and team we've decided to make two displays,
one for each half of BiH. The two halves are the Federation and the
Republic.
Damir's team put together:
- tax rates for the Federation (in the spreadsheet attached) and a budget
breakdown for the same time period here: http://budzeti.ba/federation.html
- tax rates for the Republic (in the spreadsheet attached) and the budget
breakdown for the same time period here: http://budzeti.ba/rs.html#/~/total

As you can see, each region has income tax (although at different rates)
and then 4 or 5 extra budgetary taxes, plus we are assuming VAT is a fixed
percentage of income but not necessarily the same for each region. We are
making this assumptions as there are no known official statistics to go by.
We plan to use Daily Bread as a campaign tool for getting better stats on
how citizens are taxed in BiH. Each of the two regions also have a
different budget breakdown.

Our 'working' approach is to take, for each region, the income tax and VAT
and split it into the proportions given in the budget for that region
(where spending items are classed under Daily Bread categories as described
here
http://staging.openspending.org/blog/2012/11/30/Bosnia-Budget-Classification.html
and
we rename the the COFOG categories to more user friendly Daily Bread
categories). Then allocate the extra budgetary taxes to appropriate Daily
Bread categories e.g. when we allocate extra budgetary "Unemployment
contributions" to the Daily Bread category "The Unemployed".

We would really like your views on our method for calculating the tax
breakdown for Daily Bread BiH. Do you have suggestions for how to estimate
VAT for different incomes in the different regions? Does our method so far
sound reasonable? Do you know of any statistics that might help our
calculation?

Many thanks,
Lisa