[OpenSpending] €278bn through shell companies in Netherlands

Ton Zijlstra ton.zijlstra at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 08:54:00 UTC 2013

Hi all,

You could start with requesting the list of identified companies the
newspaper Volkskrant gathered and researched early this year:
http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/2664/Nieuws/article/detail/3381348/2013/01/23/Buitenlandse-bedrijven-sluisden-in-2011-zeker-57-miljard-door-Nederland.dhtml

You could also go through the report the news clipping Jonathan linked to
is based on. Find the PDF at bottom of this page:
http://www.hollandfinancialcenter.com/news.php?id=2628&language=NL
A broader range of documents, including annexes, is available from the
organisation that did the research SEO :
http://www.seo.nl/pagina/article/uit-de-schaduw-van-het-bankwezen/ See PDFs
at bottom of page.

It seems that the research is based on 2010 numbers. The newspaper research
mentioned above is based on 2011 numbers.

It seems the 278 billion mentioned in the news article is not a good
indicator, as the report itself talks about 153 billion Euro incoming, and
125 billion outgoing (153+125=278). So while 28 billion remains in the
Netherlands, 125 billion is apparently simply pushed through the
Netherlands.  65% divident, 25% interest, 10% royalties make up that amount.

Contribution to Dutch economy is 3 billion in terms of tax, salaries and
services paid. Which I think seems a good indicator that not a lot of tax
is paid on this money (3 billion on 125 billion)

best,

Ton

Interdependent Thoughts
Ton Zijlstra