[OpenSpending] Launching OS for Oakland, Calif. (Anders Pedersen)

Anders Pedersen anders.pedersen at okfn.org
Sun Mar 10 22:13:29 UTC 2013

Hi Adam,

This sounds great. My responses below inline.

On 9 March 2013 20:10, Adam Stiles <adam.d.stiles at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Anders,
>
> Now that we've made a final decision to build off of OS, we'll definitely
> keep you posted. Our progress has been slower than I'd hoped since this is
> an all-volunteer effort mostly led by myself :)
>
> We're affiliated with OpenOakland (a Code for America brigade) which runs
> data.openoakland.org a CKAN portal where we are hosting our data sets. And a
> few weeks ago, the city launched its official Socrata-based portal here:
> https://data.oaklandnet.com
>
> Yes, more Oakland budget data is forthcoming. Our group is now collaborating
> directly with budget office staff, the first effort of its kind in Oakland,
> so it's a big learning process. There is a general receptiveness to open
> data; the challenge is more of data literacy (understanding how/why the
> public would use budget data), and creating standards and a routine for how
> data is released.

As a starting point I would say that being in touch directly with the
budget office, is great and something you should try to make use of.

If possible I'd suggest that get a talk with them about how their data
architecture for budget and spending data is set up:
- What relevant databases are available and what are the formats?
Getting these details will help you explain to them what you would
like from them.
- Be specific when you ask: Go through the variables, columns and
budget hierarchies. you are looking for. (ie. "Can I get the budget
with four levels of hierarchy")
- Can the data be easily exported from their databases to CSV files?

It's also important to note that releasing detailed budget and
transactional spending data as a CSV-dump on a regular basis, does not
need to be time consuming for a city. The time consumption kicks in
when the city decide to develop fancy info-graphics and websites. So
asking cities simply for basic CSV files of budget and spending data
is a useful way to show that open data doesn't cost a lot of time or
money.

We have some more advice on how to get data from authorities here, and
are obviously interested to hear your experiences:
http://openspending.org/resources/handbook/ch007_getting-cleaning.html

> Any advice here is welcome: examples to communicate use
> cases for budget data to officials; "templates" for data releases; etc.

> So yes, I think there's potential for Oakland to release data like NYC does,
> eventually. The main challenge I think is demonstrating to officials the net
> benefit to the city, and securing the resources to build/maintain tools. The
> concepts of open data/government are becoming quite trendy among officials,
> but there's a big gap between this enthusiasm (mostly verbal, symbolic) and
> knowledge of how/why to put it into concrete action.

Hope this works as a start. Look forward to hear more.

Best,
Anders