[OpenSpending] [openspending-dev] Mission of OpenSpending

Steve Adcock gsaintheusa at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 21:20:22 UTC 2013

Wow, you've jumped into it Tryggvi. Great effort and much needed, if not
always appreciated:)

Please keep in mind that this effort and documentation will become the
central foundation of the organization's data and knowledge management
efforts and abilities. As this is a knowledge/data management organization,
I'd call this fundamental to the goals, whatever they are chosen to be. I
would hate for us to operate on a "do as I say and not as I do" basis. If
we encourage data to proliferate without knowledgable organization, we will
only serve to obscure the truth.

Tryggvi has provided us links to two documents for this discussion. The
existing governance document from the website:
http://community.openspending.org/about/governance/#Principles
and the "elevator talking points for four questions" called OpenSpending -
Next Steps:

1. What are we trying to do? (The mission statement)

2. Why are we doing this? (The opportunities if we succeed)

3. How diverse is the project? (What are the areas of collaboration for us)

4. Who can participate? (anybody - but this is about skills we're looking
for)

or in a later email: What I want to achieve with this is:
* Mission statement = What?
* Opportunities = Why?
* Areas of collaboration = How?
* Skills required = Who?

I have some general comments and will add a few comments to the
OpenSpending Next steps document:

   1. I recommend approaching this effort as a prototype and template for
   the governance documents of OKFN as well as it's other projects.
   Constructed correctly, we can make this a staged and dynamic document which
   can easily support existing and new open efforts by providing project
   management tools and business models which allow users to largely bypass
   the pain of setting up a local community and initiating a community data
   access/analysis/visualization effort. I believe our OpenSpending goals at
   this point should be
      1. dissemination of the existing tools and workflows,
      2. establishment of feedback/improvement loops, and
      3. building an engagement process for volunteers
   2. "What are we trying to do?" - This is a broader question than it
   appears, because it depends on the granularity of the project. In general,
   we should consider having a Vision: Where we would like to be someday; a
   Mission: What methods we will employ to get there, and Goals: Specific
   umbrellas, or silos, of effort intended to foster our Mission and under
   which we can organize our projects around processes and workflows.
   3. In general, we should divide a governance document into these
   sections:
      1. Purpose.  This includes Vision, Mission, Goals, and Limitations,
      or boundaries of the effort. It should address your "What" and "Why"
      questions.
      2. Roles and Responsibilities. Here we identify and define all
      permanent and temporary work functions, and who will perform
them. We also
      identify and define the roles of OKFN and OpenSpending as well as their
      relationship. This section addresses your "who" and Skills required"
      questions.
      3. Policies. Includes ethics and principals as part of introduction
      to this section.
      4. Procedures and Guidelines. Since this is a crowd source effort, we
      must also identify and define which positions are necessary to
implement a
      project or continue work on one. This section identifies and defines key
      processes, workflows, and data flows. We maintain and support
the software
      and coding development and management projects from within this
section, as
      well as data wrangling projects, new communities, volunteer engagement,
      etc. Project management should be specifically covered in the Governance
      document under Procedures and Guidelines and there should also
be Policies
      related to them (life cycle and management of projects, etc.).
      5. Standards and Formats. In this section we identify and define
      standards for data formats, software tools used, workflow steps and
      processes which must be supported, audit and edit requirements
(DQA), etc.
   4. "Why are we doing this", or Opportunities. "Why" goes under Purpose
   in it's simplest form as a core statement. It's expanded from that core
   statement into marketing and the blogosphere, but should remain relatively
   static over the years within the Governance document. That is, our primary
   purpose should be pretty much the same over the foreseeable future.
   Opportunities presented don't really belong in this document except as they
   are portrayed/implied within the Vision statement. I think the place for
   Opportunities, is as metadata for Project justification and as part of
   business planning discussions. I don't see a real need for documenting them
   under Governance.
   5. Who can participate: This should be defined under Roles and
   Responsibilities.
   6.  "OpenSpending aims to map, analyse, understand, and display every
   government financial transaction, plan, and contract." This might qualify
   as a vision, but even for that it's a bit overreaching. The opportunities
   you mention could be crafted into vision statements:

# Opportunities (based on Friedrich's text)

Increased participation in political processes, strenghtened government
accountability, and less corruption.

# Opportunities (based on initial version)

Everyone will be able to understand government spending, and use that
understanding to affect positive social and political change.

I think reaching too far, or attempting to encompass all activity needed,
is a recipe for failure. As in the real world, project creep is a killer.
Let me make some suggestions. Perhaps these preliminary Vision, Mission,
and Goals statements would serve the same purpose and still capture the
spirit of what we're discussing.: *Purpose*

   1. Vision: To create an international organization and website where
      internet users can access online tools, expertise, and
volunteers to freely
      assist in gathering, documenting, analyzing, and publishing public
      expenditure data and information.
      2. Mission: To test, evaluate, and disseminate open source tools and
      data sets for gathering, analyzing, displaying, and publishing public
      expenditures, and to foster projects which build our community, increase
      our analysis and display capabilities, and enhance and expand
our data sets.
      3. Goals don't really belong in the Governance Document, but I list
      some here to demonstrate how this knowledge management schema
      works heirarchically (i.e. The Vision implies the Mission which
uses Goals
      to create Results [accomplished through Workflows using
Processes guided by
      Procedures and Guidelines] under the constraints/limitations of the
      organization's Policies or mandates). The number of concurrent Goals
      should be minimized so that we can use them as umbrellas under which to
      operate projects and manage the data and information from those project
      s:
         1. Create Policies
            1. Create a Data Governance Policy
            2. Create a Roles and Responsibilities Policy
               1. Create a Policy identifying and defining the relationship
               between OKFN and OpenSpending
               2. Create a Policy defining multiple levels of volunteer
               roles and their responsibilities
            3. Create a Data Preservation and Archival Policy
            4. Create a Data Veracity Policy
            5. Create Data Quality Assurance and Audit Policies
            6. Create a Partnership and Joint Venture Policy
            7. Create a Sponsorship Policy
            8. Create Management and Administration Policies
            9. Create a Project Management Policy
         2. Create a Roles and Responsibilities document (contains contact
         information and identifies people and their group
associations) specifying
         all roles and their responsibilities (real people must be
identified as
         champions for Administration, Goals and Projects and for each level of
         granularity).
         3. Create and maintain machine readable Standards and Formats for
         financial public expenditure data
            1. Support public definitions and standards
            2. Create and maintain OpenSpending input and output standards
            3. Review, research and establish a social network tool for
            enhancing public expenditure data with appropriate
provenance and quality
            assurance metadata.
         4. Create and maintain testing, evaluation, and recommendation
         procedures for open source software used in data analysis,
display, and
         publication
         5. Establish Workflows for Data Veracity Audits
         6. Establish Workflows with Procedures, Guidelines and Standards
         which help automate and descirbe the process of data capture, quality
         control, verification, analysis, display, publication, and archival.

Each goal can be treated as a master project with it's own set of
sub-projects, tasks, and timelines. Obviously these efforts must be
multi-threaded and each Goal requires a champion, just as will each
Project.
Hope this helps.

Regards,
Steve Adcock