[OpenSpending] XBRL for Local Government Financial Reporting

Marc Joffe marc at publicsectorcredit.org
Thu Sep 5 17:48:52 UTC 2013

Paul

XBRL is just a dialect of XML. As such it allows a provider of data to validate his or her input prior to sending it to third parties.

For example, the data I extracted from California Credit Scoring and submitted to Open Muni Budget during the Hasadna Hackathon was messy.  Specifically, we had a lot of spelling variations across different cities for revenue and expenditure items.   This kind of issue could be detected prior to import by validating the XML against a taxonomy using off-the-shelf tools like Altova XMLSpy.

The strength of XBRL as opposed to CSV and JSON is that it encourages the development of a standard for presenting revenue, expenditure and other fiscal information in a reliable way that can work with a variety of software solutions (Open Spending, Open Muni Budget, etc.).

Regards,

Marc