[OpenSpending] Announcing Sunlight's Open Data Guidelines for Procurement

Julia Keserű jkeseru at sunlightfoundation.com
Tue Sep 10 17:19:53 UTC 2013

Hey all,
(sorry for cross-posting)

*

Since Sunlight started our new research initiative around
procurement<http://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/2013/03/11/announcing-a-new-procurement-initiative/>in
March, we've spent months doing research into
policies<http://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/2013/07/18/local-government-procurement-how-does-your-city-stack-up/>and
data
availability<http://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/2013/05/01/open-procuring-how-do-other-countries-perform/>relating
to procurement at all levels of government, as well as
interviewing<http://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/2013/08/12/case-study-public-procurement-in-the-slovak-republic/>all
kinds of people on the subject. Today we're excited to launch the
culmination of our efforts so far, as well as an extension of
Sunlight's previous
work <http://sunlightfoundation.com/opendataguidelines/> on our Open Data
Policy: The Open Data Guidelines for
Procurement<http://sunlightfoundation.com/procurement/opendataguidelines>
.

This set of seventeen guidelines is intended to be both an inspiration to
those wishing to make their procurement process more transparent, as well
as a reflection on what we think is required to allow for distributed
oversight, fair competition, and an accessible market in government
procurement.

Our recommendations<http://sunlightfoundation.com/procurement/opendataguidelines>focus
on data release, as opposed to specific procurement processes and
regulations. We could not recommend a single approach to procurement that
would be applicable and appropriate across all governments. However, it's
our belief that more open data in procurement will pave the way for more
efficient and fair practices in government contracting.

We couldn't have completed these guidelines without the valuable input from
many willing interviewees, contracting professionals in the private and
public sectors, and our colleagues at OKFN, TI Georgia and more. We'll
continue to update the guidelines with practical examples over the coming
weeks. Also keep an eye out for more informational posts that cover the
landscape of local and international procurement.*

Best,
Julia

--
Júlia Keserű