[OpenSpending] Financial sustainability of OpenSpending - please share your ideas!

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Jun 17 11:03:19 UTC 2014

Really welcome any thoughts from folks here.

Especially interested if anyone has ideas on sponsorship e.g. of servers or
sysadmin :-)

Rufus

On 12 June 2014 20:38, Anders Pedersen <anders.pedersen at okfn.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> OpenSpending has seen significant growth since its formal launch in 2011.
> In the last year alone the amount of data in OpenSpending has doubled
> (from 12m to 25m records today) and we anticipate this growth continuing.
>
> This is a cause for celebration but is also putting significant strain on
> the infrastructure. The OpenSpending Steering group
> <http://community.openspending.org/about/governance/members-of-the-steering-group/>
> therefore set out on its last call
> <https://docs.google.com/a/okfn.org/document/d/1jCB-RquGYeW9mm466ViucMRjggbCxa0pGZDH5JThcRc/edit#>
> to discuss these challenges in greater detail in this document
> <https://docs.google.com/a/okfn.org/document/d/1r3KHUiQ4g4av_E22wIZLEvG_m9OtbKn13o98bv70nnY/edit#heading=h.w9mt2xsythb3>
> - see also below.
>
> For the last several years, Open Knowledge has been able to sponsor the
> entirety of the core infrastructure (servers, sysadmin, essential bugfixes)
> thanks both to the limited size of the project and the great support of the
> Knight Foundation for the SpendingStories project from 2011-2013.
>
> With the increasing technical demands and the ending of that support we need
> to secure additional resources (whether financial or in-kind) to support
> OpenSpending Project and its infrastructure going forward.
>

> *Options for Securing Support*
>
> A few models have been outlined as ideas for further consideration:
>
>    -
>
>    Sponsors/Partner/Member organisations / subscription model
>    -
>
>       For this case we have drawn up a draft OpenSpending Project
>       Sponsorship Partners Outline
>       <https://docs.google.com/a/okfn.org/document/d/17NHmQzEb_zOT5NAei-IkQTgWMdiOvD5ulBQIw0pptoU/edit#heading=h.wjyni2paf88v>
>       -
>
>       These could be companies, NGOs, IGOs, funders or others
>       -
>
>       For NGOs may not directly sponsor but may secure support as part of
>       existing or new grant-funding
>       -
>
>    Community Volunteers e.g. for sysadmin
>    -
>
>    Crowd-funding / with funding targets set across countries
>    -
>
>       May be some specific communities who are interested
>       -
>
>    Donations
>    -
>
>       How to collect and administrate these?
>       -
>
>       Would we need a campaign?
>       -
>
>    Please add your suggestions here!
>

> We want to hear your thoughts and ideas about how the OpenSpending project
> could be made more financially sustainable in this thread or with comments
> directly in the document
> <https://docs.google.com/a/okfn.org/document/d/1r3KHUiQ4g4av_E22wIZLEvG_m9OtbKn13o98bv70nnY/edit#heading=h.w9mt2xsythb3>?

> [...]

*Rufus PollockFounder and President | skype: rufuspollock | @rufuspollock
<https://twitter.com/rufuspollock>Open Knowledge <http://okfn.org/> - see
how data can change the world**http://okfn.org/ <http://okfn.org/> | @okfn
<http://twitter.com/OKFN> | Open Knowledge on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork> |  Blog <http://blog.okfn.org/>*

*Come to the Open Knowledge Festival <http://okfestival.org/> in Berlin
15-17 July 2014!*

The Open Knowledge Foundation is a not-for-profit organisation.  It is
incorporated in England & Wales as a company limited by guarantee, with
company number 05133759.  VAT Registration № GB 984404989. Registered
office address: Open Knowledge Foundation, St John’s Innovation Centre,
Cowley Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WS, UK.