[OpenSpending] Open Contracting and OKCon

Michael Roberts michaelr at webfoundation.org
Fri Mar 28 13:45:27 UTC 2014

Hi Friedrich,

You can see the work we are doing on technical issues here - http://open-contracting.github.io/

In terms of the data standard we have been busy looking at datasets in various countries, as well as use cases, but a draft version should be made public in April which builds on some previous efforts.  Of course like many data standards we see it as a fluid process where the standard evolves as more understanding becomes available and as people have a chance to provide more input.

In general the timeline is publish a version 1.0 by the fall, but as mentioned we want to have a working version online this coming month for comment. As well getting more input into high value / impact use cases would be really useful so the standard is driven by what’s important for solving real problems. Lastly, we have identified some countries and datasets which we think are useful representations of the public contracting data that currently exists, but we might have missed something so there is an intention to ‘crowdsource’ this as well.

re: OKCon. perhaps we can discuss as well during Tuesday’s hangout.  Part of it was to get a sense of interest and how we might organize such as side event with the Open Spending community.

Cheers,
Michael

Michael Roberts
@michaeloroberts | michaelr at webfoundation.org