[OpenSpending] Revenues and Expenditures for 490+ California Cities and Counties

marc at publicsectorcredit.org marc at publicsectorcredit.org
Sun Nov 16 23:45:33 UTC 2014

http://www.publicsectorcredit.org/ca

This is an update and extension of a project I showed at the 2013 Open Knowledge Conference in Geneva.
The data were collected by an internet startup, loaded onto a public web site and analyzed in a study available at http://californiapolicycenter.org/californias-most-financially-stressed-cities-and-counties/
The study generated some media coverage (including an LA Times story):
http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-1107-distressed-cities-20141107-story.html
http://www.thecalifornian.com/story/news/local/2014/11/06/king-city-makes-financially-distressed-city-list/18595461/

http://www.ridgecrestca.com/article/20141108/News/141109781

Compared to my previous work, there are a couple of steps back from pure Open Data.  We no longer offer a file containing all the data on the site, and we ask for registration when you try to view a second city or county.  On the other hand, all the content remains totally free and we link to source files (available in PDF format).

Marc Joffe