[OpenSpending] Hasadna and examples from budget cycles?

Anna Alberts anna.alberts at okfn.de
Wed Dec 9 17:24:51 UTC 2015

Dear All,

I wanted to share some of the great projects that were presented during the
workshop in the coming weeks.

I want to start with the work of Hasadna from Israel. Hasadna is the civic
tech organization in Isreal, they have developed numerous apps, platforms
and open source software to allow the public to engage with the Israeli
governmen.

The obudget.org project visualizes the budget with interactive maps, where
you can dive deeper into specific items to track changes in the budget and
expenditure throughout the year.

Hasadna shines a light on budget processes and shows the spikes in budget
changes throughout the year. These spikes are further investigated to
uncover budget amendments to cover expenditures that politicians would
prefer to keep hidden from the official budgets approved in parliament.

What I really like about the examples of Hasadna is that they do not only
uncover and visualise the budget data, but that they follow the budget
process.
The budget and spending data is the first step, diving deeper into the
budget process shows that yearly the budgets for some posts are
tremendously increased through the financial committee which has little
parliamentary oversight.

Hasadna's work shows that we have to widen our view to the entire budget
cycle. I am curious to hear if others have also done work on mapping and
visualising the budget cycle?

Which peculiar examples of budget-spikes, or financial-committees etc. do
we know from other countries?

Please share your examples!

Best wishes

Anna

Links:

Adam Kariv's presentation: http://akariv.github.io/obudget-pres-eng/

The Open Budget Tool with a guided tour can be found here:
http://www.obudget.org/ <http://www.obudget.org/#main//2014/en>#main
<https://hackpad.com/ep/search/?q=%23main&via=DwG0FVoP0kB>//2014/en
<http://www.obudget.org/#main//2014/en>

More information on Hasadna here: http://www.hasadna.org.il/en/

--
Anna Alberts, Project Manager OpenBudgets.eu
Open Knowledge Foundation Germany