[OpenSpending] Reviving the wiki (or something like it)

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Feb 27 18:17:52 UTC 2015

Due to spam issues and the like we archived the original
wiki.openspending.org a while back.

For a while we had a github pages based site for our research, content and
blog. As it was felt this was a bit tricky for (non-tech) contributors to
use we migrated off this to Wordpress about 1.5y ago.

However, Wordpress is more of a classic CMS and whilst good for the blog or
controlled pages it obviously provides a rather significant barrier to
entry for community contribution.

I was therefore wondering what people thought about reviving the wiki or
something like it and using it to power http://community.openspending.org.
The two most obvious options are:

- Reboot the wiki using mediawiki
  - Pros: standard software, pretty easy for non-tech folks to use and
contribute to
  - Cons: tends to get badly spammed, another thing to maintain

pages workflow now makes it fairly easy to contribute
  - Pros: very easy to setup and not much to maintain, nice moderation
workflow and no real risk of spam
  - Cons: somewhat tech-y to contribute to (though we may be able to
address that with e.g. prose.io etc)

Love to hear people's thoughts and suggestions.

Rufus