[opentextbooks] Experimenting with a simpler way to share openly licenced learning material

Tim McNamara tim.mcnamara at okfn.org
Sat Jul 16 08:48:34 UTC 2011

As a bit of an demonstration/experiment, I have created a repository of
liberally licenced learning material that is much simpler to use than the
current SVN system that is housed at http://opentextbook.org. The upshot is
that newcomers can download the whole catalogue in a similar to way to
version control without needing to know anything about version control.

Browse the web view here:

https://www.wuala.com/Openly%20Licenced%20Learning%20Materials/?key=EwEXNFL1lMlf

I don't know if anyone has heard of Wuala, but it is a very interesting
piece of technology. It's a cloud backup service with a few differences. One
of its features is the ability to create groups and public folders. What
this means is that people can download Wuala and then join the "Openly
Licenced Learning Materials" group and upload their own material. That
content is then shared among all teachers/users who are participating in the
group.

It's other main difference is that the whole system is peer-to-peer, meaning
it is resilient to any particular service falling over.

If you would like to try Wuala, so you can see what it would look like as a
teacher, follow one of these links:

http://www.wuala.com/referral/F5776G4C6AJ4NHFF6FCC (I think this gives us
both 250mb of free space)
http://www.wuala.com