[pdb-discuss] [Fwd: Join efforts for Public Domain Works Database]

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Sat Aug 12 12:01:43 UTC 2006

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Join efforts for Public Domain Works Database
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:35:30 +0200
From: Roland Alton-Scheidl <Roland.Alton-Scheidl at fhv.at>
To: info at okfn.org

Please forward to project lead for Public Domain Works Database

Hi,

I've read about the exciting project of a public domain works
database. This is to let you know that we are working on a similar
project, called RegisteredCommons. We will integrate Dublin Core
metadata, a secure timestamp servcie and build on open source
databases. Maybe we could share efforts/infrastructure/goals.

We will be  at the WO4 conference in Berlin. Or you give me a call,
if you think our work could be of benefit for your public domain
works collection.

Best regards,

Roland Alton-Scheidl

<http://www.creativecommons.at/projects/RegisteredCommons.pdf>

> Public Domain Works Database launched
>
> The Public Domain Works DB is an open registry of artistic works that
> are in the public domain. It is focused on recordings (and their
> underlying compositions) because a term extension for recordings is
> currently being considered in Europe. In the future it will expand to
> cover all types of cultural works which are covered by copyright. The
> DB is a joint project of Free Culture UK and the Open Knowledge
> Foundation.
>
> Call for Volunteers: Assistance is required in two main areas:
>
>     * Development of the public domain works database and web
> application. At present we are working on doing a first iteration
> using python and the django web application framework. Help is
> required with all and any of coding, web development, testing and
> usability.
>     * The obtaining and entry of data on works. We need to find and
> enter data on recordings along with information on the artists who
> authored and performed those works.
>     * More information: http://www.publicdomainworks.net/
>     * Participate: http://www.publicdomainworks.net/participate

:: Dr. Roland Alton-Scheidl
. Vorarlberg University of Applied Sciences : http://www.fhv.at
. PUBLIC VOICE Lab : International Media Co-op Board Member : http://
www.pvl.at
. Competence Network for Media Design : http://www.media.coop
. Creative Commons Austria: http://www.CreativeCommons.at

The content of this e-mail is Creative Commons and licensed under
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/at/