[pdb-discuss] Re: Writing a grant proposal for the public domain works db

Tim Cowlishaw timcowlishaw at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 16:01:57 UTC 2006

Hi All,

Version 3 of the proposal, you all know the drill by now. Annotate away!

cheers,

Tim

------------------------------------
Introduction
=========

The existence of an accessible public domain of cultural works is
essential to the business of educators, academics, artists and critics
alike. Originally, in order to benefit from copyright protection for a
work, authors were required to register the work and deposit a copy at
a central registry. This ensured that the identity of the work's
author could always be known, and that both copyright and public
domain works could be easily identified.

 Today it is no longer necessary to do this. Any work eligible for
protection is covered from the time of the making or publication of
the work, without any need to register that work as being protected,
or to mark it as such. As a result, the process of identifying
protected or public domain works is no longer trivial, as there is no
central registry for copyrighted works, determining whether or not a
work is still covered can rely on guesswork, or substantial (and
costly) investigation. This is an unsatisfactory situation, as the
prohibitive cost and time commitment involved in ascertaining whether
a work is or is not in the public domain stifles creativity that
could otherwise profit from the existence of public domain works.

A Public Domain Registry for the EU
============================

In order to combat this problem and ease the difficulties involved in
ascertaining whether a work is in the public domain, Free Culture UK
is building a *Public Domain Registry* which will list cultural works
that have entered the public domain or which are about to fall out of
copyright, initially focusing on sound recordings. This is a
particularly pertinent field at present, due to the current debate in
the EU about the extension of the term of copyright for recordings.
Such an extension, (particularly when applied retroactively, as in
this case) would significantly reduce the size of the public domain in
this area. However, in the absence of a Registry of the type we are
proposing, this loss cannot be accurately quantified.'

This registry will take the form of a wiki-like database and
associated web application storing the above details for as many
cultural artefacts as possible. With this data stored, it would then
be possible to determine programmatically or by hand which works are
currently in the Public Domain. A major aim of the project is to
harness community and volunteer involvement in the process of finding
and entering information as well as in determination of the copyright
status of the work and so the system will be designed to allow
decentralized collaborative contributions in a wiki-like way.

In order to do this, several facts about each work need to be
ascertained – The date the work was first published, the name(s) of
any contributing authors, and the dates of the death of these authors,
if they are deceased. In addition, it is important, particularly in
the case of sound recordings, to ascertain the same information about
copyrights that the work in question may derive from. For example, in
order to determine the Copyright status of a sound recording we would
need to know:

* The year in which the recording was first made
* The name of the composer of the underlying musical work
* The date of death of the composer, if he or she is deceased.

For example, in the case of Elvis Presley's 'That's Alright', we
would ascertain that as the recording was made in 1955 and the term
of copyright on sound recordings currently stands at 50 years, that
the recording passed into the public domain in 2005. However, as the
song itself (the 'underlying musical work') was composed by Billy
Crudup (who died in 1974), and is covered by a standard term of life
plus 70 years, it will enter the public domain in 2044.

In the case of recordings of songs with multiple composers, or
recordings incorporating a number of musical works, this calculation
is complicated further, and the public domain burn database would
greatly assist in ascertaining the copyright status of these works. In
addition, the registry would be reusable in other contexts (the
identification of 'orphan works' being one example.)

Proposal
========

We are seeking funding in order to develop this Public Domain
Registry. The funding will be used to develop a software system and
associated database structure for the registry, and will also cover
the collection and entry of a limited amount of data for testing and
demonstration purposes. Once
there is a functioning web application the further acquisition and
entry of data will be performed by the community.

Both the software and data produced would be 'open' (Gnu GPL) so that
other projects, for example those working on orphan works, could
easily use and build upon our work.