[pdb-discuss] update on progress: db to wiki code nearly done

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Jun 23 21:14:49 UTC 2006

That's great Nathan. Perhaps you would like to take a stab at parsing
this file which contains a list of composers and their birth/death dates:

http://project.knowledgeforge.net/pdw/Composers.txt

It would be neat to have a script which extracts composers and puts them
in the db using the domain model. Domain model is at:

http://project.knowledgeforge.net/pdw/svn/trunk/src/pdw/dm.py

Example of loading stuff up RecordingWriter(object) in:

http://project.knowledgeforge.net/pdw/svn/trunk/src/pdw/saparse.py

If you prefer to use perl go ahead though this might be a good occassion
to try out python ;)

Regards,

Rufus

PS: we also need to improve our heuristic identification of the same
person (with slightly different names). See

{{{
def get_existing_artist(self, fullName)
}}}

in saparse.py for current stab at this that just matches on fullName.
For example we have Gounod from British Library but from Composers.txt:
{{{
Charles (Francois) GOUNOD, * 1818 Jun 17, + 1893 Oct 18
}}}

PPS: I've just committed dbtowiki.py and am going to stop for tonight
now but will start work on final parts of wiki stuff early tomorrow and
should have something up and functional by 0900-1100 uk time