[pdb-discuss] Draft funding proposal

Tim Cowlishaw tim at timcowlishaw.co.uk
Mon Apr 16 11:02:17 UTC 2007

Hi all,

Looks good to me! a couple of comments below:

Cheers,

Tim

On 4/13/07, Michael Holloway <michael at openrightsgroup.org> wrote:

> 1. Should the focus be on sound recordings rather than 'all categories of
> copyright subject matter'?

I think Sound Recordings are a great example, as the complexity of the
copyright status of musical recordings is a great illustration of why such a
registry is needed. Perhaps we could highlight that whil PD-Bun is
*initially* focusing on sound recordings, as the code is GPL'd, it would be
available for re-use by others for calculating the copyright status of any
other type of work, without us needing to broaden the scope of the project
unnecessarily at this point.

2. I have noted intention to become self-funding after 6 months, but have
> not included suggestions for income.

I liked the 'sponsor a work' idea that was discussed at OK-CON. It might be
worth stressing the conservational benefit of the project (the ability to
easily determine rights status aids digitisation, which aids preservation)
at this point.

In addition, I'm really keen on the idea of selling copies of digitised
PD-works, complete with added value in the form of liner notes and artwork.

> 3. Should we specify what data we already have?

Best double check we have the right to use it first (I jokingly suggested at
OK-CON that we need a sort of meta-PDW-database, to calculate the rights
status of the metadata we are planning to use. :-) ). Otherwise, yes, I
think it would be good to mention it - having access to this data adds to
the appeal of the project, IMO.

(Paragraph on remix / reuse creativity, or are we keeping a formal tone?
> Perhaps we can do this with a formal tone … )
>
> IMO, this can and should be mentioned, and can be done while maintining
the formal tone of the proposal. However, it might be best to talk about
'appropriation' and 'collage' as opposed to 'remixing' and 'mash-ups'. Am
happy to draft a paragraph or two for this if required.

Cheers!

Tim