[pdb-discuss] Draft funding proposal

rob at robmyers.org rob at robmyers.org
Tue Apr 24 12:09:15 UTC 2007

Quoting Tim Cowlishaw <tim at timcowlishaw.co.uk>:

> Koons and Warhol were also involved in litigation over their work, which
> strengthens them as examples somewhat. Peter Saville would be another good
> one to mention, but depending on your definition, he may or may not really
> be an 'Artist' as such (he's a graphic designer / commercial illustrator)

Saville tends to quote style rather than appropriate identifiable
works like Warhol and Koons do. This is not prevented by copyright and
in fact many mainstream UK artists have based entire careers on the
look & feel of a single work by Picasso or a Kapitalistischen
Realismus artist (Paula Rego, Damien Hirst, Fiona Rae, Sarah Morris,
Gavin Turk, I'd better add an "allegedly" here). Even Julian Opie's
work is 'inspired' by old graphic design. The only direct
appropriation of Saville's that I'm aware of is that painting by Henri
Fantin-Latour on the cover of Power, Corruption & Lies, which was PD
at the time.

- Rob.