[pdb-discuss] Meeting summary

Jon Phillips jon at creativecommons.org
Thu Aug 9 00:05:53 UTC 2007

Great notes Rufus, things moved much last week when I had to present at
wikimania in Taipei...looking to launch our service very soon in order
to get community contributions...

Jon

On Tue, 2007-07-24 at 17:56 +0100, Rufus Pollock wrote:
> Below is a rough summary of the meeting. I've also posted them on the wiki:
>
> http://okfn.org/wiki/PublicDomainWorks/meeting-2007-07-19
>
> ~rufus
>
> === Present ===
>
>    * Becky Hogge (ORG)
>    * Michael Holloway (ORG)
>    * James Casbon
>    * Jon Phillips (CC)
>    * Rufus Pollock (OKFN)
>    * Yves Raimond
>    * One other
>
> === Notes ===
>
> These are some rough notes. They may not be perfectly accurate so please
> feel free to amend and improve.
>
>    * Summary of public domain works project (genesis and current state)
>      * Have data (though need to parse)
>      * Database system in progress
>      * Want to store our data elsewhere and act as a thin front-end
>    * Jon Phillips: summary of the CC project for a public domain registry
>      * based on drupal
>      * versioned data
>      * focus on verifying status
>    * Key points:
>      * Probably not going to be one single metadata store
>      * So want to be able to share data
>      * Data should be open (see http://www.opendefinition.org/)
>      * Should have some standard way to get data
>        * RDF/web api
>        * for model could use http://www.musicontology.org/
>    * General discussion of how we build distributed, versioned data stores
>      * interesting and hard problem
>      * issue isn't raw storage but how we are able to write and update
> in a reasonable (real-time) fashion
>    * Actions
>      * Yves and James to work on parsing
>      * Further disucssion with Jon about possibility of uploading to
> their backend
>      * Rufus to contact musicbrainz further about write as well as read
> access
>      * Rufus to get webapp running

Jon Phillips
jon at creativecommons.org
cell: +1.510.499.0894 (80% time)
desk: +1.415.369.8486 (20% time)

Community/Business Developer
Creative Commons
www.creativecommons.org

Please note: the contents of this email are not intended to be
legal advice nor should they be relied upon as or represented to be
legal advice.  Creative Commons cannot and does not give legal advice.
You need to assess the suitability of Creative Commons' tools for
your particular situation, which may include obtaining appropriate
legal advice from a licensed attorney.