[pdb-discuss] Re: Author name lists

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Jun 25 09:25:53 UTC 2007

Wow, Andrew this is fantastic. To respond:

a) This is definitely useful to us.

b) Suggestions on how to proceed: we are currently focusing on
recordings so we are particularly interested in composers and data on
recordings themselves.

We've already got a bit of data on composers (see recent blogpost[1])
but we need more. However what we are really lacking is data on the
recordings themselves. One possibility is to extract this kind of info
from the Library of Congress as well (this was briefly discussed in [2])
-- given your expertise in this area this might be a good way to go.

Alternatively the BBC archives have been kind enough to make a whole
bunch of recordings data available to us. If you like the challenge of
parsing obscurish formats we've got over 1GB that we need to parse. You
can get a sample from:

   http://p.knowledgeforge.net/pdw/A1_sample.txt

c) We are currently storing our code (though not all the data as it too
large ...) in a subversion repository:

   http://p.knowledgeforge.net/pdw/svn/

If you'd like to use this you'd be very welcome. Just sign up for an
account on http://www.knowledgeforge.net/ and let me know your username
and you can have commit access.

~rufus

[1]:<http://www.publicdomainworks.net/2007/06/10/public-domain-composers/>