[pdb-discuss] Re: Presenting at OK Con

Tim Cowlishaw tim at timcowlishaw.co.uk
Fri Mar 16 11:28:51 UTC 2007

On 3/15/07, Michael Holloway <michael at openrightsgroup.org> wrote:

> By needs do you mean the many potential uses for the DB? e.g. licensing
> (for sampling, for inclusion in media, for compilations), reference
> purposes, and the PD-Burn project

Hmmm.. I had imagined that this sort of thing would constitute a 'use case'
or example - In the written work I have done for the project, I've tended to
define the 'need' for PD-Burn by talking about the role of the stationers
office in the Statute of Anne, and how there is no longer a legal
requirement for copyright registration in the same way, before illustrating
a couple of hellish examples of rights status in musical recordings, rather
than sticking to real-world uses like these. What do you reckon? either
approach works for me....

> I expect this will be revised in light of Rufus' update on the project i.e.
> using musicbrainz as backend

Good point - could anyone give me a brief reminder of how this will work?
we're using MusicBrainz for the composer birth-and-death dates metadata,
right?

Let's try and be precise about the kind of skills we need right now (not
> that i could give you that detail)

Good idea - I was thinking of the sort of approach taken by the ORG Release
the Music campaign and My Society: seperating tasks into "if you've got five
minutes" "if you've got an hour", "if you've got longer" and subdividing
into technical / dev jobs, and non-technical tasks like editing composer
metadata on the wiki. Anything else we could get people to do?

Cheers,

Tim