[pdb-discuss] Creative Commons + Open Library + PublicDomainWorks

Jon Phillips jon at creativecommons.org
Fri Sep 28 19:24:48 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 12:09 +0100, Rufus Pollock wrote:
> Jon Phillips wrote:
> > Heya, so I wanted to alert you all that the parts that I talked about
> > with you all in the summer, tentatively called WikiBiblio, are now being
> > integrated into the Open Library (http://demo.openlibrary.org). Part of
> > our project and grant is to create a Canadian front-end to this efforts
> > with CC Canada, and Access Copyright, who is providing 170K records
> > about Canadian public domain works.
> >
> > Anyway, I want to encourage you all, anyway I can, to get involved with
> > Open Library. I'm working directly with Open Library now through CC and
> > have pulled in Wikimedia Foundation into this effort as well...
> >
> > This means that the copyright and public domain status we were building
> > into Wikibiblio as its own standalone service, is being integrated into
> > Open Library and the Canadian front-end will use the Atom Syndication
> > and Publishing Protocol to get read and write support to Open Library.
> > Then, the per-jurisdiction algorithms to determine copyright, public
> > domain status, and what licenses (CC, etc) are applied to a work, will
> > be a part of the Open Library...
>
> That's great to hear -- and I thought something like this might have
> been in planning. This sounds like a really good idea. I think we'd be
> very happy to become another partner along with yourselves, WMF, IA and
> the OCA. Who should we talk to to make get 'officially' involved in this
> way?

Yes, I've been having to conduct a symphony of contract obligations and
internal issues in order to get this to the state now where it works
well with you guys, openlibrary, and other projects...I'll spare the
details :)

> > So, a path I see that could happen, is that the brilliant work you all
> > are doing on UK/EU pd/copyright calculation, could be integrated into
> > this work we are doing, and then we can work to get
> > publicdomainworks.net to be a similar front-end to this Open Library
> > site.
>
> That's sounds a very good way to go.

Gr8!

> > I think this is a super super wise step for us all to take, as Open
> > Library has funding, several full time developers, and the Internet
> > Archive's support and infrastructure to roll this out...
> >
> > Anyhow, lets talk about this more, and figure out how to work together
> > on this...I'm super happy the project is heading this way, and
> > discussing this project with you all in July really helped to sort out
> > the direction of the project...what do you think? How can I help?
> > Concerns?
>
> I think this is a great way to go -- though other list members might
> have additional comments ... In terms assistance, the first thing would
> be helping us get officially on board as partner, pointers to details of
> the read/write APIs plus how we could start uploading data to them. The
> other thing, obviously is that OL is currently fairly 'book-centric'
> while we are fairly 'music-centric' but I'm sure that can be addressed
> pretty easily.

Yes the Open Library system says books, libraries, etc, but in general
is media agnostic...so, this is definitely something to work with, in,
and around...Ok, for some reason the demo site appears to be offline

> > If you guys are into, then it would be great to get the relevant people
> > (tech, etc) onto the Open Library discuss and development lists to push
> > on this effort...things are coming together!
>
> Absolutely I think this is a great way to go.
>
> ~rufus

Ok, cool...so looks like I need to:

1.) get read/write API documentation to you guys
2.) connect you up with Open Content Alliacne (at Internet Archive)
http://www.opencontentalliance.org/2007agenda.html (man, I wish you
could come to this on oct 17...I totally found out about super
late...this week!)
3.) get you guys list info once the site is live again
4.) How to get affiliation locked down like this and put in motion

Does this sound accurate?

Jon

--
Jon Phillips
jon at creativecommons.org
cell: +1.510.499.0894 (80% time)
desk: +1.415.369.8486 (20% time)

Community/Business Developer
Creative Commons
www.creativecommons.org

Please note: the contents of this email are not intended to be
legal advice nor should they be relied upon as or represented to be
legal advice.  Creative Commons cannot and does not give legal advice.
You need to assess the suitability of Creative Commons' tools for
your particular situation, which may include obtaining appropriate
legal advice from a licensed attorney.