[pdb-discuss] Getting Moving Again ...

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Mar 2 12:30:01 UTC 2009

Dear All,

It's been a bit quiet here over the last year. However, things have
been happening behind the scenes and I think now is a good time to get
things going a bit more in public.

With the basic domain model now fixed up, we're now in a good position
to really start getting into the data parsing and loading in a big
way. (I note that once parsed into a decent format the data could
easily be exported in a lot of different forms including RDF ...)

I know Nathan has already expressed willingness to have a go at
improving the existing BBC Parsers. It would be great to have a couple
more volunteers able to spare a bit of time to help out on this -- or
any other parts of the project (e.g. providing edit interface, coding
up the PD calculators etc).

More details below of what's been happening and what data we'd like to
parse and upload into the system below.

Rufus

## Update

Over the last couple of months the basic domain model has been
completely rewritten along FRBR lines and should now be pretty stable:

  <http://knowledgeforge.net/pdw/hg/file/tip/pdw/model/frbr.py>

With this done we should look to start bulk loading data into it.
Suggested items are:

1. KCL CHARM Catalogue Data: <http://www.charm.kcl.ac.uk/index.html>.
I've made a start on this and you can see a rough cut of their
Schubert data in PDW right now:

  <http://publicdomainworks.net/item/>

2. Donated BBC Catalogue Data (CAIRNS). We made a start on this back
in summer 2007 thanks to work of James and Yves. Full dataset now
posted in archive.org and it would be great to load this into the
system:

  <http://ia331417.us.archive.org/3/items/pdw_bbc_cairns/>