[pd-discuss] Making a short film about public domain calculators based on meeting in Cambridge next week?

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Sat Nov 7 19:26:06 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I've started putting together a transcript for a micro-short film
about the public domain calculators project, based on our meeting in
Cambridge next week [1]:

  http://wiki.okfn.org/PublicDomainCalculators/Film

I would be very grateful for any input on the transcript so far! In
particular - does anyone have any ideas for interview sections we
could put in? E.g it would be great to have brief sections on the
history and purpose of copyright laws, on copyright laws in different
countries, on the social and economic value of the public domain, on
good examples of public domain works being reused, on why the PD
calculators are a good idea and so on. Would anyone like to volunteer
to be interviewed?

As many of you know, one of the main aims of the meeting next week is
to document the process of making flow charts such as [2] and [3]. We
will use the Dutch case as an example, which we will work through as a
group.

While this documentation will probably mostly take the form of written
documents and photographs, a short film will be a good general
introduction to the topic, and the meeting should be a good
opportunity to get footage of public domain experts from different EU
Communia member organisations.

I look forward to seeing people next week!

[1] http://blog.okfn.org/2009/10/07/public-domain-calculators-meeting-10-11th-november-2009/
[2] http://blog.kaplan-myrth.ca/updates-to-the-canadian-copyri
[3] http://www.sunsteinlaw.com/practices/copyright-portfolio-development/flowchart.htm

--