[pd-discuss] Connecting registries of public domain works with digital copies on Project Gutenberg, Librivox, etc.?

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Wed May 12 14:33:13 UTC 2010

First of all I hope everyone will join me in giving a big welcome to
Michael Hart from Project Gutenberg and Hugh McGuire from Librivox,
who have joined the Working Group on the Public Domain!

I wonder whether it would be useful to start a thread on how we can
collaborate to connect digital copies of (or new works based on) PD
works such as Gutenberg/Librivox to registries of public domain works
such as the Public Domain Works project?

  http://publicdomainworks.net/
  http://www.gutenberg.org/
  http://librivox.org/

This will also present new opportunities to, e.g., identify public
domain works which are not yet available in digital form, start work
on digitising works as soon as they come into the public domain (based
on public domain calculators + large collections of bibliographic
data). Also I am really keen to start work on a 'public domain request
service' (but that is probably another thread!)...

What do people think?

Will, Tatiana: have you been working on this? If so, could you give a
quick update?

--
Jonathan Gray

Community Coordinator